Expectations for abstracts change from publication to publication.
- IEEE publications: “The abstract should be limited to 50-200 words and should concisely state what was done, how it was done, principal results, and their significance. The abstract will appear later in various abstracts journals and should contain the most critical information of the paper.” IEEE 2011
- ACM publications: Provide templates of full papers, with no specific instruction regarding abstract format.
- American Society for Engineering Education publications:
- 1. Format: The document will be in a one-column format with left justification. There must be a 1 inch margin on the left, right, and bottom.
- 2. Font: Times New Roman typeface is required, 12 point, skipping one line between paragraphs.
- 3. Length: Abstracts should generally be between 250 - 500 words.” ASEE 2011
If your article is not accepted at one journal, you may have to re-write that abstract for a second journal.