Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Government Documents on Military History
Government publications are essential sources for military history students and scholars. Purdue University Libraries have extensive collections of U.S. Government publications dealing with military history with most of these being located in HSSE Library. Subject headings you can use to search for military history information in the Library Catalog include:
The principal index for U.S. Government publications is the Monthly Catalog of U.S. Government Publications HSSE REF & Periodicals 016.353 Un36 which is also available online from 1976-present. The GPO Index covers from 1976-present.
Other useful U.S. Government document indexes include:
Additional subject specific indexes to government military history information are:
- Air University Library Index to Military Periodicals - HSSE REF 016.6295 Ai7
- Congressional Information Service (CIS) Index - HSSE REF 328.73005 C76
- CIS Congressional Serial Set Index 1789-1969 - HSSE REF 328.73 C761c
- CIS Unpublished Senate Comm. Hearings Index 1823-1964 - HSSE REF 348.731 C497
- CIS Congressional Comm. Prints Index - HSSE REF 348.731 C755c
- CIS U.S. Congressional Comm. Hearings Index 1833-1969 - HSSE REF 348.731 C76
- CIS Index to U.S. Executive Branch Documents 1789-1909 - HSSE REF 351.73 C497 1990
- CIS Index to U.S. Executive Branch Documents 1910-1932 - HSSE REF 351.73 C497 1996
- Connect HERE for information on downloading Purdue Libraries Ebooks