This guide presents information resources, analysis, data, and visual analytics representing from research institutions (think-tanks) in the U.S. and internationally representing a variety of intellectual and political perspectives. These institutions have different funding sources and conduct research on numerous public policy issues and produce findings which can enhance instructional and research knowledge and are frequently used by U.S. and foreign national governments to implement their polices.. These institutions will be arranged alphabetically by subject in the following areas: Economics and Finance, Education Policy, Family and Social Policy, International Relations, National and International Security, Public Policy/Politics, and Science and Technology Policy. Many of these organizations conduct and publish research in multiple areas besides the subject classification they are listed in on this guide. I welcome suggestions for including additional institutions.
Featured Resources: Johns Hopkins University Center for Health Security COVID-19 situation reports & fact sheets. See especially their Coronavirus Map
Global Health Security Index Collaboration between Johns Hopkins University, Economist Intelligence Unit, and the Nuclear Threat Initiative assessing country health security capabilities and indicators.
National Coronavirus Response: A Roadmap to Reopening is a March 28, 2020 American Enterprise Institute study.
Economics and Finance
- American Action Forum: Provides center-right perspectives, data, and analysis on economic and fiscal policy subjects. See their Feb. 25, 2019 assessment An Initial Analysis of the Green New Deal
- American Legislative Exchange Council: Nonpartisan organization of state legislators emphasizing limited government, free markets, and federalism.
- American Planning Agency: Liberal organization seeking to improve metropolitan area planning and development.
- Atlantic Institute for Market Studies: Halifax, NS, Canada-based center studying public policy issues affecting Atlantic Canada.
- Birmingham Policy Commissions: British university consortium publishing collaborative research on various public policy issues.
- California Budget & Policy Center: Conducts research on how California budget and tax policies affect low and middle income Californians.
- California Center for Population Research: Interdisciplinary UCLA-based demographic research center.
- California Research Bureau: California State Library entity providing unbiased public policy research on California issues fot the
Governor, gubernatorial staff, state elected officials, and California state legislators.
- Cape York Institute: Australian research institute seeking to promote economic development and social reform in that country's Aboriginal communities.
- The Case Against Dodd-Frank: How the "Consumer Protection" Law Endangers Americans is a 2016 Heritage Foundation report.
- Center for Automotive Research: Ann Arbor, MI-based organization examining the local, state, federal, and international role of auto industry trends & developments.
- Center for Business & Economic Research: Ball State University entity conducting research on health care, regional economics, transportation, and energy.
- Center for Budget and Policy Priorities: Liberal research organization concerned with the impact pubic policy programs have on low and middle income individuals.
- Center for Population Economics: University of Chicago entity specializing in developing life-cycle intergenerational data sets to study demography, epidemiology, and economic processes in areas such as diseases, work levels, mortality, and geographic mobility.
- Commission on the Theft of American Intellectual Property: Nongovernmental organization concerned with documenting intellectual property theft affecting the U.S., documenting and assessing China's role in this theft, and determining appropriate U.S. policy responses to these thefts.
- Competitive Enterprise Institute: Conservative organization promoting free enterprise public policy and reducing regulatory barriers.
- Economic Policy Institute: Liberal organization examining current economic policies and advocating for what is sees as low and middle income consumers.
- Faith Driven Consumer: Faith Equality Index (Rates companies by their support of Christian values, consumers, and employees.
- Fedspending.org: Database of federal spending data emphasizing federal contracts and grants. Produced by liberal OMB Watch.
- Goodman Institute for Public Policy Research: Presents conservative perspectives on U.S. economic and political subjects.
- Great Cities Institute: University of Illinois-Chicago center emphasizing applied interdisciplinary urban policy research focusing on the Chicago area.
- Heartland Institute: Suburban Chicago-based conservative institute promoting free market solutions to economic and social problems.
- Imprimis: Hillsdale College monthly addressing various historical and public policy topics. See their January 2019 essay Marijuana, Mental Illness, and Violence
- Indiana University Policy Institute: IUPUI facility studying urban development and state and local public policy issues.
- Institute for Development Strategies: Indiana University center concerned with promoting regional, national, and international economic development.
- Institute for Research on Poverty: University of Wisconsin center research U.S. poverty.
- Institute of Public Affairs: Melbourne, Australia research center seeking to strengthen economic and political freedom.
- Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies: Studies political and economic issues affecting Black Americans.
- Mercatus Center: George Mason University economics research center providing libertarian and market oriented analyses.
- Mises Institute: Austrian Economics, Freedom, & Peace: Auburn University-based libertarian think tank.
- National Bureau for Economic Research: Non-profit & non-partisan academic institution dedicating to disseminating economic research.
- Oxford Institute for Energy Studies: Oxford University organization specializing in advanced research in international energy and economics and politics encompassing oil, gas, and electricity markets.
- Panel Database on Incentives and Taxes: Upjohn Institute resource on incentives provided by state and local governments for economic development.
- Peterson Institute for International Economics: Nonpartisan research institute focusing on international economic topics.
- Reason Foundation: Libertarian research center.
- Rural Indiana Stats: Purdue University center compiling and analyzing data for Indiana's 92 counties encompassing housing, fiscal, and socio-economic data, agriculture and forestry, and digital inclusion.
- Rural Policy Research Institute: Research center studying issues concerning rural America. Participants include scientists and policy analysts from Iowa State University, University of Missouri-Columbia, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and other affiliated institutions.
- Savi.org IUPUI's Polis Center provides information about poverty in Indiana.
- Smart Growth Resource Library: Provides information on transportation, housing, and urban design emphasizing ways to boost economic growth, protect the environment, and enhance community vitality.
- Stats America: Commerce Dept. funded Indiana Business Research Center source providing socio-economic data on the U.S. and its subdivisions.
- UK Center for Poverty Research: University of Kentucky entity conducting multidisciplinary research on poverty and inequality in the southern U.S.
- Urban Institute: Research center concerned with the impact of public policy issues on urban areas.
- Weidenbaum Center on the Economy, Government, and Public Policy: Washington University (St. Louis) cetner supporting scholarly research in economics, government, and public policy.
- World Economic Forum: International Organization seeking to improve the world through public-private cooperation and engaging political, business, academic, and societal leaders to shape global, industry, and regional agendas. Noteworthy for annual Davos, Switzerland conference.