Ask a Librarian
Performing Arts Databases
Resources for the performing arts - Dance, Music and Theatre -- overlap to a high degree. Issues of staging, costuming and design apply to both Dance and Theatre, and Music provides the pretext for Dance as well as forms of Theater like Opera and Musicals. The following Purdue Databases can be used with all three.
- Garland Encyclopedia of World Music Online. A comprehensive online resource devoted to music research of all the world's peoples.
- Grove Music Online. A compendium of music scholarship offering the full texts of The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, 2nd Edition (2001), The New Grove Dictionary of Opera (1992), and The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz, 2nd Edition (2001) with updates.
- Lexis Nexis Academic. Containing a large selection of online newspapers, this is a good source of reviews for recent productions.
- Music Index Online. Covers all styles and genres of music, citing book reviews, obituaries, new periodicals, and news and articles about music, musicians, and the music industry.
- Omni-file Full Text Mega . An all-purpose database with separate indexes such as Humanities Full-Text, Art Index and the Play Index, with links to full text in many cases.
- Oxford Reference Library - Performing Arts. A searchable collection of Oxford reference works on the Performing Arts.
- SIBMAS International Directory of Performing Arts Collections and Institutions. Over 7000 international institutions with material relating to the performing arts .
- Artslynx International Arts Resources. A comprehensive source of links to Arts Resources, including Theatre, Dance and Music.