Organic Synthesis Information Resources: Searching the Literature
Databases, handbooks, and book series related to organic synthesis, including searching for information on specific reactions or more general information about functional groups, protecting groups, and name reactions.
Combines the Beilstein (organic chem), Gmelin (organometallic and inorganic chem), and Chemical Patents databases into one search interface. Used primarily for structure, reaction and chemical property searching.
Annual reviews of the literature. Sections are organized by reaction type, protecting groups, and reviews related to techniques, natural products, fullerene chemistry, and other selected topical areas.
* Lags in publication. Volume 12 (2009) covers literature from 2002-04.
* Mainly just graphics of the reaction and article information.
* No subject index, must use the table of contents. Author index also available.
In SYNFACTS current research results in synthetic organic chemistry, as they appear in the primary literature, are screened, selected, evaluated, summarized, and enriched with personal comments by experts in their fields. You can view an overview here.
Online from vol 78 (2008). Chemistry Library Ref. 547 T34sE for vol 3 (1949)-vol 75 (2010). Semiannual reviews of the literature. Sections are organized using a unique system indicating what bonds are made and broken along with the type of reaction. Also includes a section on review articles.
* Provides more detailed reaction information.
* Does not lags as much in publication.
* Focuses on novel reactions or improvements made to existing reactions.
* Has subject index but no author index.
* Includes a small "Guide for Users."